They call it Faro Cabo Cape Bojeador, as it sits majestically on a hill named Vigia de Nagparitan (estimated at a total height of around 160 meters high with the tower an additional 20 meters high) overlooking the South China Sea.

It was first lit on March 30, 1892 and is still functioning to date, serving international ships passing by the northern part of South China Sea that enter the Philippine Archipelago and guides them safely away from the rocky coast of the town of Burgos, which is the last town in the northwest corner of the island of Luzon.

Burgos was named after the martyred priest José Apolonio Burgos y García, a Filipino mestizo secular priest accused of mutiny by the Spanish colonial authorities in the Philippines in the 19th century. He was placed in a mock trial and summarily executed in Manila along with two other clergymen.

This is one of the famous historical landmarks in the province of Ilocos Norte. Cape Bojeador Lighthouse, also known as Burgos Lighthouse, was declared a National Historical Landmark on August 13, 2004 and a National Cultural Treasure on June 20, 2005 by the Philippine Government.

The lighthouse is located approximately 35 kilometres north of the City of Laoag in Ilocos Norte, and it the most accessible of all lighthouses in the north of the Island of Luzon.

If you’re ever in the area, stop by and check it out!